Empress (No 3061) Built 1954 by W. G. Bagnall
Empress was originally acquired by the NCB for use at Measham Colliery after use there it was transferred to Cadly Hill.
Empress was purchased from Cadly Hill Colliery in 1987. The C.E.G.B. offered the use of the old locomotive shed at Rye House Power Station, Hoddesdon, Herts. It was here that the restoration work on Empress was completed in May 1989, after which she was moved to Mangapps Farm Railway Museum at Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex where she is regularly steamed.
Empress was taken out of service in the Autumn 2000 for major overhaul.
|Cylinders||16" x 24"|
|Wheels Diameter||3' 6.5"|
|Tank Capacity||1000 gals|
|Bunker Capacity||67.5 Cu ft|
|Heating Surface - Tubes||713 sq ft|
|- Firebox||79.5 sq ft|
|- Total||792.5 sq ft|
|Grate Area||15 sq ft|
|Working Pressure||180 lbs/in2|
|Boiler Feed 2 Injectors||No. 7mm|
|Tractive Effort @ 85% Boiler Pressure||22,118 lbs|
|Total Weight in Working Order||41.5 tons|
Locomotive Report April 2015
Empress’s boiler had its hydraulic test in October 2013 but did not have a steam test till May 2014. This was due to the discovery of rust holes in the bottom of the water tank! The tank had already been painted ready for fitting but had to be turned upside down so new base could be welded in. The inside was then treated and painted in 2 pack paint; this delayed the fitting and completing of the loco. Empress eventually entered service during the late May bank holiday and ran 8 times during the season. This highlighted a few problems which were attended to during the winter and she ran again for the2015 Easter Steam gala. Since then she has departed to the Lavender Line for the rest of this season.