Hastings No. 469 Built in 1888 by Hunslet
She is one of the earliest examples of the Hunslet’s 0-6-0 saddle tanks and was built for the Manchester Ship Canal contractors, Messrs. T .A. Walker, and at first carried the name of 'Liverpool', Some years later, however, after its acquisition for a contract in the south of England by Messer. Price, Wills & Reeves, it was renamed 'Hastings'.
Eventually 'Hastings' passed into the ownership of Park Gate iron & Steel Company, who employed the loco at there Sproxton Quarry, where it was ultimately joined by the K&ESR 'Charwelton'. However Hastings carried the main work load, but in 1957, with the arrival of a third loco at Sproxton, it was virtually abandoned. In 1963 with the closure of the of the quarry railway Hastings was acquired for the K&ESR, and it was restored to working order in 1965 painted oxford blue with red lining.
It was acquired by Martin Staniforth in September 2002 a Society member and has been transferred to Mangapps Farm Railway Museum for restoration. Work has started on the boiler, the chimney has already been restored.
|Wheel dia||3' 1"|
|Tank capacity||585 gallons|
|Heating surface||489 sq. ft|
|Grate area||7.75 sq. ft|
|Weight empty||18 tons|
|Weight loaded||22 tons|
|Boiler pressure||160 psi|
|Tractive effort at 85%||11,181 lbs|
Locomotive Report April 2015
Work on Hastings has been concentrated on the boiler. A new section of backhead has been welded in. A new firebox, foundation ring and girder support brackets made. There is still a lot more work to be done before these can be fitted.