No. 8 Andrew Barclay 2157 built 1943
No. 8 was originally ordered by the Ministry of Supply & outshopped as an oil-burner & sent to their ROF No 6 Thorp Arch Factory near Harrogate, York. It was a various ordnance factories until it became surplus to requirements and was sold to Fife Coal Co Ltd and returned to Andrew Barclay to be converted to a coal burner. It then went to Comrie Colliery in Fife (No 16) in November 1946. It ten worked at a number of their collieries in Fife. In continued to be used after the formation of the National Coal Board before being withdrawn from traffic in 1972.
In 1977 it became surplus to requirements and was sold to Thos Muir,Scrap Merchants,Easter Balbeggie,Fife. In 1996 the site closed and it was moved to Thos Muir Haulage & Metals Ltd in Kirkcauldy.It was then sold to Cadman (STAFFORDSHIRE LOCOMOTIVES) probably at the end of 1996. Finally it moved to J&H Parry & Sons(SHAWBURY) Ltd, Astley,Shrewsbury.
Two Society member Richard & Anthony Goulding (Father & son)bought it and it was moved to Mangapps Fm Rly, Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex 4th August 1999 and restored by them the restoration being completed in XXXXX. No 8 is currently the mainstay of steam operations at Mangapp's.
The picture abouve shows it just after restoration was completed in its Royal Ordnance Factory livery.
|Cylinders||14" x 22"|
|Wheel Diameter||3' 5"|
|Tank Capacity||720 gallons|
|Total heating surface||542 sq ft|
|Grate Area||10.25 sq ft|
|Working pressure||160 lb in2|
|Tractive Effort @85% boiler pressure||14,300 lbs|
Total Weight in working order
Locomotive Report April 2015
No8 has performing well since its ten year overhaul in 2012 but as Empress was available we took the opportunity to repaint No8 during July and August so it was all gleaming and ready for the August Bank holiday gala when it was named Fambridge. This gala celebrated 25 years since Mangapps started.